View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not an expert, but I've had pretty good success in the last couple of years with the following process.

1. Third week of September, spray the area that you want to reseed with roundup. Kill everything.

2. One week after applying the roundup you will need to rake/power rake/dethatch and remove the dead material. You wont be able to get every last strand of dead grass/weeds up, but you goal is to have a bare dirt upon which you reapply the seed.

3. Seeding. I've had good success with Rebel TTTF. Since your in Maryland you really need to go with a TTTF. Some people may tell you that Kentucky bluegrass will work, but I have not had much success. When applying the seed make sure to follow the instructions on the bag for application rate. Rent a slit seeder. Too little and it will be spotty, too much seed (yes you can put down too much seed. Ask me how I know) and you will get thatch/die-off next year. If your doing a large area you may want to hire a landscape company to do the seeding.

4. After seeding if you have access to a lawn roller that would help push the seed into the soil. If not, it's not a deal-breaker.

5. Seed cover. This is the material that you put on top of the new seed to keep it moist and protected from wind and birds. I prefer peat moss. It's expensive compared to straw, but anytime I've used straw I get a horrible amount of crabgrass from the straw the following summer.

6. Water, water, water. Keep the seed moist before, and during germination.

7. Be careful with your fertilizer application so as not to burn the seedlings.

If you use TTTF you should seed grass sprouting within 2 weeks. Keep if watered and let if go unmowed until it's over 3 inches tall. Don't mow below 3 inches until next spring. Good luck.

Page generated in 0.03783 seconds with 7 queries