View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I would kill to have soil with a pH range of 5-6.5. Based on the colored chart you put up, most of the essential elements are available. Problem is when pH in the irrigation water is above 7 and the soil pH is also above 7. Most warm season grasses with the exception of centipede grass and bahia grass are not that picky about being above 6.5. It does get hairy if you are expecting ornamentals to do well.

I hate to see applications done right before a 1" per hour rainstorm. No call for it in my area. Those only happen but a few times a year. There are many days where it is not going to rain like that at no more than 20" per year annual rainfall.
Florida's Gulf Coast is mostly Calcareous Sand with a average pH of 9.5. I dealt with alkaline sand for so long I don't know any thing else. I use only acid forming fertilizers and still fight for color by adding tons of minors elements.

A quick story. A new customer had the Big box Fert & Squirt company. His lawn was still yellow after their expert had soil samples etc. I don't how the fool missed the 10.5 pH on the soil report. I went to Walmart just a few Blocks away and found a straight Ammonium Sulfate Fertilizer with no minors. About a week later all the fertilizer the Big Box people put out, kicked in and I got the credit for their fertilizer.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Page generated in 0.03929 seconds with 7 queries