View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice germination Barry. We don't really do seeding here so it's not that big of a deal to me. However it is encouraging because it stands to reason that if it promotes rooting like that in newly seeded areas it encourages rooting in established turf as well. To what degree, I'm not sure...

Per the label. 12% Fulvic/Humic acid as a carrier for a propritary microbial blend derived from Leonardite Ore. 88% inert ingredients. I did a little research on Leonardite and discovered that it is not Peat and it is not Coal but is a compound that is a step in the process of Peat becoming Coal and is closer to the coal end of that process. Its possible benefits seemed to be documented but I'm not sure if they are proven. As far as "microbial"...well, I'm no scientist and didn't spend that much time looking in to it.

That being said, I have my own observations and ideas on what this product can offer me and they are based on what I have seen and found myself.

First of all... price. At $200/4 gallons and a recommended rate of 2oz/1000, we are looking at a price of about 40 cents/1000. This would be great if it were a "stand alone" product, but in my opinion, it isn't and I for one never really expected it to be. According to you and others, higher rates mean better, more noticeable results. They also mean higher costs as we all know. Double the rate, double the cost. At some point, costs will soon be very close to what is spent on conventional fert, especially if additional inputs are used while applying this product...and again, in my opinion, they need to be because I don't see this as a stand alone product.

I think this product has many possibilites. Turf with a deeper, more robust root system should be able to obtain more nutrients from the soil and have an easier time of remaining hydrated during drought and should just be overall, healthier. Does this product offer that? From what I've seen so far, I think it could be an important part of the equation that gets you to that point.

In my opinion, it comes down to cost vs. benefit and their balance for each persons own situation.

I purchased only a small amount to experiment with. If I buy more, it will be in bulk and hopefully at a much better price than what spoke of earlier in this post.

I am still interested in seeing/reading more about others experiences with this product in "turf" situations.

Page generated in 0.03515 seconds with 7 queries