View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I am not a proponent of top dressing to cover the seed to substitute for proper soil preparation. I think you would need too much. If you planned to bury the seed a quarter inch deep. My estimate is 21 cubic feet per 1000 sqft. (That would be three-quarters of a cubic yard per 1000 sqft. (Around 1650 pounds).
http://www.ask.com/questions-about/W...c-Yard-Topsoil
And it is nearly impossible to spread it evenly.
When it comes to overseeding existing turf, it will also be impossible to stir up the soil 1/4" deep as well... I would want seed to germinate in a space between 2 plants 2" wide...

When the grass is cut short those 2", or more, bare spots really show up all over the lawn and you just can culivate those spots to be 1/4" deep w/out harrassing the plants all around it... many times the seed is still visible, just sitting on the surface of that bare spot so the compost, even a little compost, makes the necessary contact for the seed to germinate while on the surface...

This is the very reason why having dead grass clippings sitting in these little bare spots is so important... the seed will never stay in place otherwise...

Page generated in 0.03235 seconds with 7 queries