Thread: Detaching Lawn
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maynard, you hit on one of the characteristics of living thatch, i.e. lignin... this was even brought up in the article that was posted at the page 1...
Most sod that we see around here is actually a thatch layer cut off the field and contains little or no soil whatsoever... so if the sod dies you have a tightly bound mat of lignin string material(roots and stems) left behind...

IMO,,, since we know what causes living thatch, we should just switch over to practices that cause the existing roots to grow down into the soil and eventually the thatch layer will deteriorate to the point of allowing water and nutrients to penetrate into the soil...

Of course the first step is to acknowledge what lignin thatch is and how it differs from what is mistakenly called thatch, which is composed of simple carbohydrates such as grass clippings...

An interesting side note about digesting lignin, is the idea of using Soybean Meal to build a population of microbes capable of breaking down lignin at a higher rate of speed... this also feeds lawns in 2 different ways making the synferts unnecessary during this period...

People think it is expensive, but only if they attempt 4-6 unnecessary applications in the season...

Page generated in 0.03976 seconds with 7 queries