View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Arecas are Cheap ,fast and easy. I can Buy 4 ft OA Arecas for peanuts and have totally privacy in the first season. South Florida We don't freeze so I am out of my elements North of a Line from Palm Beach to Brownsville Texas.

Yep South Florida is easy when it comes to Privacy plantings. Fact is our year round growing season give more Privacy than the customer wanted. Ultra High Density planting is actually practiced more by Mistake than design. I am a strong believer in LESS IS MORE when it comes to Landscape design.

Speaking of UHD I do like a trellis or topiary of vining plants like Mandeville, Brown Bud Allamanda. Bougainvillea and Wisteria etc. Each has a different Texture and slightly different color. Of course the flowers are totally different. Newer Fiberglas Trellis hold up 3 time as long as the old wood ones and can out last the design life.

While I agree Arecas are cheap, Arecas are cheap. Yes you get privacy, but you also get an ugly palm that needs a lot of fert and maintenance. Vines are good, but mandevilla is a pita and looks like crum in the winter. Bougie is good, but again, a lot of maintenance. This gentleman is a homeowner who I'm sure wants as little maintenance as possible. Do NOT do fichus, maintenance nightmare. If you can do caryotas(fishtail palm) and have them be five with the cold, I would do that. Less maintenance vs Arecas, more appealing, etc. if you want formal hedge, awabuki viburnum is good, but be prepared to hand prun them. Trimmer looks like garbage on them. Cocoplum is good too, but again, not sure if it works in north Florida. Whatever you look at, make sure to see the overall height and maintenance requirement. That is a big area to plant and if you pick the wrong plant, you will be kicking yourself in the rear.
Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.03386 seconds with 7 queries