View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just to add something else. I try to be courteous to everyone, not just postal employees, and I know they have a rough job. A good friend of mine runs a mounted route in Kentucky, and he said he worked 72 hours last week because they can't keep temporary help. By the way, the temporary help is paid $21 per hour, but no benefits, and he says they can't keep anyone! Now, isn't that a statement of the times?

Seriously though, I ran a milk route 30 years of my life. Different commodity, same principal. I ran a wholesale route, delivering to stores, schools, nursing homes, etc. Unlike postal employees, we were not paid by the hour, so anything that caused a delay in your day cost you, not the company. Through those 30 years, I literally lost thousands of hours and probably walked hundreds of extra miles due to people who were inconsiderate or totally clueless. We always had to park where it wouldn't interfere with customer traffic, so we might have to 250 pound stacks of milk 30 or 40 yards just to get it to the door. I've had people pull up so close to the door at c-stores that you couldn't open the door enough to wheel the milk in. I've had people park their cars in loading zones and in front of loading docks. I've dealt with construction crews that park their equipment over the weekend so that you can't get to the loading dock at schools (which we often serviced on Saturday). I've had the door slammed in my face as I was attempting to wrestle a stack of milk inside more times than I can count. I've had an employee checking the product in, which normally only takes maybe a minute, and someone come up and interrupt us to ask where something is, have you gotten that so-and-so in yet, are you guys going to be open Sunday, etc, and stand there and chit-chat, totally oblivious to the fact they are causing someone else the loss of time. I've waited, literally up to 30 minutes for some prick of an employee to take a couple of minutes to check me in, or unlock a door for me to bring the product in, because they were on break, or doing something they considered more important. I even had a cook at a restaurant pull a knife on me one time because he ran out of product through no fault of my own because I was not told they were retailing milk as well.

And, through all of that, not once did I run into anyone with my truck, or even a 2-wheeler of milk. And, not once, did I bang on anyone's car, and certainly never slapped anyone, although the thought did cross my mind more than once, and often, once out of earshot, I would privately call them every name in the book. So to all you bleeding hearts that sympathize with the poor postal worker, she was out of line, at the very least should be disciplined, and in my opinion, should probably be fired.

Every job, from cutting grass to running corporations has its own aggravations, challenges and stressful situations. If you can't deal with those in your particular industry, then look for another line of work.

Page generated in 0.04591 seconds with 7 queries