Thread: New Truck
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.T. View Post
So you don't turn the truck on and off if you dont have to? I ordered a 6.7 2500 and I'm worried about it on my maintenance route. My jobs are very close together, most of my commercial accounts are like 30-40 mins, I have a few big ones. Most of my resi's are about the same, 30 40 mins. So I'm just not sure what to do?
its hard to say really. i mean 45 minutes is a long time to idle really. some of my accounts fortunatley are in very close proximety so i can park in one driveway and do 2-4 houses in a row, if thats the case then i shut it down. but i have 2 guys that work with me so i rarely get ahold of any lawns that take us more than 20 minutes. but if its a 15-20 minute job i let her idle, because usually within the last 5 minutes of a job i have to move it anyhow to finish blowing so really it only sets idle for 10-15 minutes. I my rule of thumb if if its gonna set less then 20 minutes let it run. but 45 minutes to an hour i'd shut it down. 15+ starts a day on any engine is bad, but on diesels its even harder. just use good judgement is all. i guess im used to the old diesel motors in some old equipment that required 3 guys, starting fluid and a combination of tricks to get it to start so you would leave it running once you brought it to life. lol. also i try to schedule similar lawns in groups small lawns all on a certain day or within a certain time window, then bigger accounts i group together, then commercial accounts, so my scheduling plays into it as well
*2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 6-speed automatic. Cummins 6.7 High Output Turbo Diesel
*John Deere Z425, Z-757
*All Echo Handheld 2-cycle Equipment
*6'5"x14' LandscapingTrailer
*35' Heavy equipment dovetail gooseneck 25k lb. load capacity
*21 Toro Super Recycler (3)
*And the most important thing... looking good at being clueless...

Page generated in 0.03777 seconds with 7 queries