View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Lots of people started out that way. But the equipment is not suitable for big jobs--and your customers know this. They will think you are unprofessional. So...be ready to counteract this opinion. You are competing with TruGreen and many other companies with snazzy equipment and clean white trucks.
You need highly competent, friendly personal service, more friendly and more personal than any competing company.
PERCEIVED VALUE is the issue here. The customer RECEIVES VALUE from a Granular and back pack program, But do they PERCEIVE THAT VALUE???? I think Riggle brings up a very important issue that every one should pay attention.

As business people we must be aware of our customer perception of us. TG/CL & Scotts etc are very aware of this market ploy and field a fleet of polished specialized trucks that both look professional and offer advertisement. The Customer only sees the well established Image of a Large Professional company and not Tom, Dick & Harry who are hired fresh off the street. They are PERCEIVING VALUE that they are NOT RECEIVING.

I think there could be a whole Internet forum dedicated to just the RECEIVED/PERCEIVED VALUE issue.

This can work in reverse. I am talking the Mow & Go type service where people think they are getting over on the Lawn Boy who is laughing all the way to the bank. But once again we are Talking PERCEIVED VALUE.

BTW I am the first one to tell a new person to let your customers determine your equipment needs. Too many buy will by the big skid sprayer just to say they have one.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Page generated in 0.03716 seconds with 7 queries