View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd1 View Post
Hi Guys, Just wanted to share a trick I have used that has worked for me.
If I have an area of exclusive weeds I will put down one sheet of ordinary newspaper and a little growing medium on top of the paper.
Then I put my seed and a little dead grass, straw, whatever.
If you get your timing right your seed will fill in the area before the weeds can push through the paper. Paper stays moist a little longer than general soil also.
Here it is organics or nothing as chemicals are prohibited. Have had decent success with this method. Joined this site after years of lurking just to post this. All you Canadians better try it or I will be disappointed.
That is a good idea for a lot of annual weeds,,, however,,, perennial weeds simply use the mulch type covering to expand its root base and will definately out perform the young grass to a large extent...

There is no panacea for any type of weed control and it is necessary to understand what you are dealling with... in fact: this strategy can promote the sudden appearance of Canadian Thistle which is beyond control in one season... I experienced that back in the 70's(and several times since then), so be careful how you proceed...

Page generated in 0.03735 seconds with 7 queries