View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
I stick with my prognosis until he actually checks to roots for rot.

Round spots from Chlorine damage? Pots with herbicide in them? Maybe, but not likely.
Since my original post I have had a couple of guys check this problem out one of whom is a retired horticulturist. The general consensus is: root rot and a fungus from excess moisture during the period following the placing of the sod. There was no herbicide in any of the pots, ever. The pool chlorine idea they all agreed is possible but as it is a salt water pool and the chlorine maintained on the low end he didn't think it was likely, though possible. Though the photos don't show it the palms had fronds much lower to the ground right after the sod was laid and the irrigation system hit them and dripped onto the ground three times a day causing too much spot moisture. The roots rotted and a fungus developed that spread. They all noted that the sod would likely recover as new growth is being seen.
As an aside I can add that this empire zoysia is some seriously hearty stuff. I had about 20 pieces left over and threw them on some dirt I had mounded up for a later shrub bed simply because I wasn't going to send it back. No irrigation was provided but every piece survived and I will use that to fill in where needed. I've been using nothing but a commercial Palm fertilizer with 8%N on the lawn and though it's not the greenest in the world the roots seem to be strong.

Page generated in 0.03508 seconds with 7 queries