View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
... Ammonium tends to hang around on CE sites and very little is converted to nitrate in cold weather because the weather is too cold for amped activity of those microbes. This is partially the reason that anhydrous ammonia can be used as an ag fertilizer and is applied in the cooler weather.

Once you look at the dynamics of the living world, you better understand why applications are done in a particular manner.
I'm glad to hear people talk about CE sites... it promotes the idea that fertilizer doesn't do much once all the CE sites are filled... it also demonstrates the difference between the nitrates attached to CE sites that the stuff that is leaching away and/or volatizing away...

You see I also believe that good tilth and humus will hold N,,, not just during the winter, but also during the growing season...

I think the concept, that the article was putting forth is that excessive N floating about in the soil profile doesn't do much for the plant, during Winter... the next followup point is that a fresh supply of N as soon as the grass starts growing "burns out" the carbohydrate reserves and forces top growth,,, at the expense of the normal root development,,, that would have occurred if left to it natural life cycle...

This could be a good discussion if we can keep all the pieces of the big picture together...

Page generated in 0.03753 seconds with 7 queries