View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown thumb View Post
Ever think about aeration in these conditions the day before a rain? Our cool season grasses don't allow water infiltration like the NWSG that we've destroyed. You're going to have major run-off on non irrigated drought stricken hard pan now if you don't do something to help with the infiltration. Do me a favor, go out to one of these areas and dump a bucket of water on it...report back on what happens.

It's all about annual seed rain along with disturbance, many different ways to get the same result IMO. And, if I can relieve severe compaction, get water in the ground and to the roots, and get a good disturbance event with aggressive aeration then that will have to do.
It all depends on the state of the surface, how rain will interact... on slopes around here,,, any loose material lieing atop the hard packed surface will simply be washed to the bottom of the slope...

but then,,, your aeration hole reseviors may work just fine...

another point to consider is: another long stretch of sun and no rain may finish off the drought damaged root zone exposed to the open clay pot formation... by next Spring you have dead zones filling up with weeds, and mud zones after you kill the weeds... haste makes waste...

Page generated in 0.03310 seconds with 7 queries