View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Studies have shown over and over that soil N content is usually very stable in frozen soils.

In the fall, nitrates tend to move down in the soil profile with increased rainfall, then move up with the freeze/thaw of late fall, stay stable in mid-winter, then move up with spring freeze/thaw cycles, and back down with rain and snow melt. Nitrate really follows the water. ...
Here is a comment from the: http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dm...s/mythwint.htm , that disagrees with you on that...

"... If you have very sandy soil (uncommon in the metro area except along South Platte and eastern areas) do not fertilize later than late September, as nitrogen leaches readily through sandy soil, especially during winter months, and will contaminate ground water. On sandy soils, it's best to use "slow-release" nitrogen fertilizers such as organics, IBDU, or sulfur-coated urea, to reduce potential for groundwater contamination..."(emphasis mine)

Haven't heard back from any of my questions... you were telling me what was common sense practices and I was looking forward to a real discussion... is that off now???

Page generated in 0.04083 seconds with 7 queries