Originally Posted by gcbailey
I find it interesting at how varying prices are even within my company's own service area.... curious to see what it is around the rest of the country.
Here's some generalized specifics about the area we service in southern WV and southwest VA.
- 2 vehicles '04 Chevy 1 ton dually and '06 Chevy 1/2 ton ext cab, full coverage approx $1300/year.
- liability $2m/$1m approx $500/year.
- accountant quarterly and year end taxes $450/year approx.
- fuel (gas) $3.42 - $3.99 /gal... (diesel) $3.89 - $4.19 /gal.
- houses (my specific zip code)... typical "middle class" 2,500sq ft. sub-division 2 story on a 1/3 acre lot $200k approx.
- sales tax 6% collected for the gov...
- average price for services... we don't unload at a residential for under $35.
- dealer pricing... we deal 90% with exmark mowers and our dealer is roughly $500 below retail pricing... echo handhelds about $30 cheaper than retail
- generalized area info... 1.5 hours from Roanoke, VA... 1.5 hours from Charleston, WV.... 1.5 hours from Bristol VA/TN. A geographic oddity! Within 40 miles there are probably a few hundred thousand, within 20 miles probably 40k.
- our service area is basically 5 counties with residential only in 2 and commercial only in the other 3.
I'm leaving out tons of other stuff, but you all can get a rough idea of cost of living around here.
I'm in central CT
- 1 vehicle(s) 96 Ford f350, full coverage approx $1500/year.
- liability $2m/$1m approx $600/year.
- accountant year end taxes $200/year approx.
- fuel (gas) $3.70 - $3.99 /gal... (diesel) $4.15 - $4.79 /gal.
- houses (my specific zip code)... typical "middle class" 2,500sq ft. sub-division 2 story on a 1/3 acre lot $300k approx.
- sales tax 6.35% collected for the gov...
- average price for services... residential for under $35 dollar minimum.
- generalized area info... 15 mins from the capital city Hartford...10 mins from Glastonbury,CT.... 15 mins from South Windsor Within 40 miles there are probably a few hundred thousand, its pretty well populated where i live.
- our service area is about a 50 mile radius and i cover close to 15 towns, I actually have accounts in 8 different towns, kinda crazy but i'm still in the take what i can get category.
a laborer around here that has a decent amount of experience generally gets about 15/hr but also up here its not hard at all to gross 100,000 with a landscaping business if you try a little, actually its probably harder to not make that much or even a lot more then it is to make that much or more even, there are a lot of low ballers around the area, but the people who have money don't even bother with them because they look like a pos, very unprofessional.