View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Not a stretch and I did not say ethanol I said alcohol since the early 90's.
MTBE which had methanol as the form of alcohol was chosen by the Fed Gov/EPA to be mixed in the gas at 5%. In 1992 I sat in the class at a General Motors Training Center. Things I have been stating were taught to me there.

Then methanol was replaced with ethanol when MTBE was banned. Since the 90's when alcohol was added to fuel whether methanol then later ethanol you could not buy gas that was alcohol free where I live. Small engine manufacturers have had 30 years to get ready. They chose to drag their feet.
MTBE is not methanol, it is derived from methanol and isobutylene.

Forgeting for the moment that ethanol and MTBE will destroy rubber compounds which include fuel lines and other fuel system components, there is nothing that can be done about phase separation where the gasoline and ethanol laden water separate out. This is not something manufacturers could "get ready for" by doing anything about.

Quote:
If alcohol was so harmful, people had no problem putting in two cans at a time of dry gas, isopropyl alcohol, in their gas tanks
Well, lets see. Two cans of dry gas is what, 40 oz? Mix that with 20 gallons of fuel what do you have, about 1.5% if my math is correct.

Page generated in 0.03872 seconds with 7 queries