View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
You have an interesting post, Dave. It was quite long, so I would like to comment on two key points that you quoted above. Both of them go hand-in-hand, and are how I got started in this business ten years ago. Coincidentally, you and I both service the same market. I have found that being a one-man show has more perks than pits, but one has to develop systems to enable a business to run itself.....well, almost. I have spent much of my downtime marketing my business, and surprisingly it cost me very little financially. Today, online marketing is the way to go. I have a $200.00 web-building program and about $50.00 in signage on my truck. Whenever I mow, I usually leave a couple door hangers on the neighbor's front door. I get calls from 10% of these, and close on about half of them. I print the door hangers myself on card stock from a free online template I downloaded. I treat my customers like gold, and run monthly promos that go in with their monthly invoice. This generates plenty of extra revenue. I also don't lowball bid.
All of these practices equate to a marketing system, a.k.a. my revenue building machine.
Is your ultimate plan to stay solo? If so I'm just curious on a couple things. Can you keep this up in your 50-60's? Do you have a retirement plan in place? These are things that would be on my mind being solo.

Page generated in 0.03347 seconds with 7 queries