View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Considered this. The soil here is very permiable. Typically I've got 2-5 inches of silt/sand/clay soil on top of fine sand. Run a garden hose on the ground for several hours, the stream vanishes in about 40 feet. This turns out to be an asset. I can do pot in pot just by boring a hole, and setting the socket pot in place. No need for complicated drainage.

We have runoff in the spring when the snow melts. There's runoff because the ground is still cold enough that the start of the melt forms an ice barrier in the top of the soil. Once the snow becomes patchy, there is no more visible surface run off.

To get enough water that my ephemeral stream starts up in the summer requires about 5 inches of rain within a week. Anything less than that vanishes into the pasture. We have had the ephemeral stream run during summer only twice in 12 years.

In the long run, I guess I am recycling the water. It goes back into the aquafer and I get to pump it again. One reason that I'm very very careful about chemical use. I drink the well water. (The producing zone in the well is about 60 feet down.) I use almost no pesticides, and fertilizer is either top dressed granular, or applied at 100 ppm. Areas near pots are kept sodded so that excess fertilizer is picked up by the plants.

The other downside of impact sprinklers is that the zones are too large. I've got a small operation. A cohort of trees (same species, same size, same pot) is typically about 300-600 trees. Each cohort needs to be consdiered separately.

However, having enough flow would allow running a bunch of aquazooms instead of just one.

Page generated in 0.03578 seconds with 7 queries