View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
That's a good point.

Here is the reply I received from Rich Buckley at the Rutgers Plant Diagnostic Lab regarding break though with Merit.
I have not heard anything specific for this year, but I don't doubt there were control failures. Merit will not control asiatic garden beetles. It is known that they will invade areas as a secondary pest once the oriental and japanese beetles are removed by the product. I also suspect that due to the dry mid-summer period that egg-hatch was delayed until late-August when the rains started again. If you applied Merit as per the label in May, then it was probably used up by then. I think it best to use Merit when the adults fly in late-June or July so it lasts through late-summer into fall.
This is put perfectly. Going back a few years ago I had breakthrough and suspected this was the case. Since that time I have been applying very late June, early July with no problems. Other than a more plentiful naturally occuring watering-in, there really isn't any reason to apply Merit so early anyway. Apply later and get protection deeper into the season where the problem presents itself anyway! Good stuff.

Page generated in 0.03780 seconds with 7 queries