View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Theres a lot of advertising pressure from company's like Scotts that get people in the mood for preventative in late April.

Pro applicators should know the timing.

One thing I wondered about this year is in the midwest I am convinced beetles emerged from the soil earlier due to the grubs not being deep in the soil and pupating early from the mildest winter on record.

IF... this happened, could it have created a prolonged mating (and subsequent egg laying) period?

Do beetles mate more than once? (sluts!) Lay more than one batch of eggs? (fertile myrtles!) Or are they one and done.

I don't know.

I do know grub pressure is heavy this year in my area, and same with sod webworm and chinch bugs and I believe this can be directly attributed to the mild winter we had.

It set up the perfect storm. Dry warm winter with no insect attrition, grubs close to the surface, no winter snow for moisture into spring, an earlier spring than we have had in 100 years, followed a month later by the worst drought in 100 years.
It's one and done and they will go back to the exact spot they were hatched and came from to lay their eggs. However as a few have pointed out, with the drought affecting a big part of the US, all bugs including beetles are acting crazy. We have noticed grubs being attracted to irrigated lawns since all the other areas that are not irrigated are as hard as concrete. Couple that with the extreme heat and the life cycle of many insects is all messed up this year.

Page generated in 0.04277 seconds with 7 queries