Thread: Seeding methods
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
axe - the ground is not going to freeze up in the middle of October around here. Where do you get that??

Next week is highs in the upper 50's and lows around 35. That is not going to freeze the ground by any means.

Usually around here, freeze up doesn't happen until well into Nov. Except last year, there really was no freeze up.
I remember the year that the Brewers won the World Series there was a big celebration at the potato warehouse at that time... It was one of the few jobs that I really didn't care for because I had to arrive so early and it was freezing cold on concrete floors... I arrived one morning on Oct. 5th and the ground was actually hard, from being frozen...

Obviously is is not going to stay frozen for the rest of the season and that was my point,,, that even under those circumstances I would still put down seed and there is a realistic chance that it will germinate and establish b4 winter...

You may not see this in urban areas, where snow is contantly removed, but with decent snow cover, the ground under the snow may easily thaw during winter, even when its well below zero... So it isn't necessary to concern ourselves with the constantly changing AIR Temps becuz it will have little effect on the seed...

On a side note, our 10 day forecast had 7 out of 10 days below freezing with highs in the 40s... when it hits 18 degrees a few times during that period,,, it may very well be Oct. 5th all over again...

Page generated in 0.03035 seconds with 7 queries