View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
Actually I was thinking a conbine was a single reel and a sickle combined. I love a reel cut, I like the idea of the reel being out in front. I hate the triplex, or gang. I understand it, but I would rather have just one 36" or 48" reel. I understand they do this because of the expense to make one big reel, and the bigger the harder it would be to adjust the cutting bar so the cut is even across the reel. Sharpening a reel is not hard, you just back reel with compound.
Posted via Mobile Device
In a previous post it was explained on a bean/wheat head for a combine. All the reel does is feed the plant material into the machine. A pull behind hay conditioner/mower is the same concept.

A corn head is a different animal. It grabs the stalk and pulls it down and there are plates that strip the ear off the stalk, then there are feeder chains in each row that pull the ear into the head. The feeder chain also doubles as a way to help pull the corn stalk into the head.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.

Page generated in 0.04205 seconds with 7 queries