View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

OK... What Are They Really Worth???

Y'all gotta help me out... I'm not getting it. I know cars, so in car terms the break point is 5-years or 100,000 miles. Once a vehicle passes either of these two points it's done! No Prime bank will finance it, so it basically becomes a cash deal, thus making the vehicle's worth drop like a brick in value. AND a vehicle typically depreciates about 20% a year, for the first 5-years and then levels off. So $40,000 becomes, $32,000, becomes $25,600, becomes $20,480, becomes $16,384, becomes $13,107, etc. Now Dealers may try and sell them for more, but that's what the book is on them.

So what's the break points on Mowers? Cause I see mower dealers trying to capitalize Big Time on old mowers. Example: A Hustler Dealer has a New 2012 Hustler Super Z 60" with a 25-HP for $8,500. They also have a NEW (1-hour on it) 2009 31-HP Hustler Super Z 60" for $9,700. If I'm not mistaken, and I verified it on here, in 2009 that same Super Z sold for $9,500. LOL!

Then I see old mowers with 2,000-3,000 hours on them selling for more than half the original price. I'm shaking my head, because I sure wouldn't think about buying a 5-year old truck with a 100,000-miles on it for 60% of its original price.

AND what is the negotiating tactics on New Mowers. Take MSRP throw it out the window and where do you go from there? What is the typical markup on a mower.

See with cars, you ask to see the invoice, you look for the invoice price, then look for the line that says HB which is hold back (the owner of the Dealership's money) and now you negotiate. If you are getting Employee pricing, forget the above because you are typically getting it cheaper than the dealer price.

Page generated in 0.03839 seconds with 7 queries