View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Puppy there are people out there who know the limitations of these mowers or any mower better than you, Your opinion is very valid and much more valid than mine but you only mow the same property for the most part week end and week out. A person who mows alot of varieing types of terrain is more qualified to make a accessment over you.

Do not get me wrong your point is very valid, on the other note a dealer who has 100's of these units out in the field is very qualified to make a point better than anybody if he listens to his customers.

He just made the point that he heard from a few of his big customers who use both the old style and new style that the old was plusher stock from the reports in the field he was hearing.

On the point of weight you should take a physics class,weight is your enemy. It allows more energy to be transferred to the rider and the faster you go the more the heavier unit will beat the rider in rough terrain.

As you add speed it becomes more appearant weight is your enemy, My old 300 pound XR 650 would never blitz whoops or torn up terrain even close to my 225 pound Cr 500 even with modern suspension added to the 650 why because it weighs 75 more pounds.

Now you can have a better equiped suspension package on the heavier machine and it may ride better but all things being equal with design taken into consideration light is better for transmitting less impact to rider period!

You are right about the chasses longness helping but I picked up on my 5 minute demo of the new Super that the ride on the newer Super was more solid with less give and the flex forks were making the unit much more livable.

I wonder how much air tires would help?
You simply have this all backwards bro. We aren't talking about a small weight difference, but going very fast as in the case of your dirt bikes. Weight is your friend, not your enemy for what we are talking about here, and any physics teacher will be on our side, not yours. Weight absorbs more energy, and will make the machine last longer in part due to that fact. It willl also make the machine ride better, not worse. Get on a 1200lb mower and go across a regular hay field at speed, then get on one like a Deere 997 and do it again. The heavier machine will ride better, and it's not simply because of the wheels and tires on the 997.

Better yet, get on a standard Honda sport bike in the 600CC class and run it down a rough paved road, then get a on a Goldwing and drive down the same stretch of rough paved road. If lighter were better, don't you think all the highway tourer's would be asking the motorcycle mau's to make lighter touring bikes, not heavier?

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 10-08-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.04192 seconds with 7 queries