View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I knew I would get slammed on this one, maybe I deserved it but you never know til you ask. For what it is worth I know how to figure rates on granular but am pretty new to the liquid.

Give me a little break though, it wasn't as bad as the parking lot thread.
Sorry, I was a bit harsh on that one. But, I think that labels are important and knowing how to calculate product, fertilizer, and active ingredient amounts is what separates professionals from amateurs. Any lawn boy can follow directions -- mix some of this with some of that. Any lawn boy can mix 2-10 oz/M (and use the wrong unit abreviations to do it), but it takes professionalism and critical thinking abilities to understand what that mix rate means and how to apply it to a business in which no two lawns are the same. You can bet that the big companies have guys who can do that, and do it every day.

This lack of understanding of products and labels is why the EPA and state regulators come down hard on LCOs, but not as hard on golf courses and sod growers -- they see that the golf and sod guys have more education and know how to read labels, which makes EPA think they are smarter and better than LCOs.

Did you guys know that MSMA use was continued for golf course, sod farm, and ROW use, but not for home lawn use? The decision not to include home lawns in the use extension was precisely because LCOs are showing EPA that they can't understand product labels and won't follow them.

In your post, ArTurf, calculating the amount of N in a liquid fertilizer is exactly the same as calculating the amount of active ingredient applied from a liquid herbicide. You still need to know how to find the info on the label and do the simple math.

I don't want to belittle you or slam you for asking a simple question -- asking questions is how we learn. But, we're fighting a battle of perception here. EPA and the state regulators see the golf course and sod guys as having college degrees andbeign active in state and national organizations that require continuing education beyond the minimum level to maintain your pesticide license. They look at LCOs as lawn boys who only meet the minimum for state certification and can't even read a label.

I'm sorry I turned this into such a rant, but I want everyone in our industry to rise to the level of the college educated golf course superintendent. The big boys have several college educated guys on thair staff and even some PhDs sprinkled in, so they can make the case to the regulators that they're better than everyone else. If we can't be at least as knowledgable about what we do as the college educated guys, LCOs will always get the sort end of the stick from the regulators.

Page generated in 0.03969 seconds with 7 queries