Thread: Roto tilling
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
So you are saying If somebody use a Skidloader in there prep work of a new Lawn They are lazy???
How do you grade a lawn with a rake and shovel
I know and seen ppl seed behind a tiller that makes a lumpy lawn
My prep stage
Run a 6ft tiller
grade it with skidloader
Final prep Run my 8ft Turf Shaper this leaves 4-6'' a light compress topsoil to seed on
I just did a small lawn that had topsoil brought in and spread around and levelled with a skidster, following a major construction project... We could've just run a slit seeder over it, but it was packed down hard enough to use as a driveway...

I tilled it up and raked it smooth as I covered the seed... I didn't even walk on it because I stayed ahead of the tiller... Yes, it can be done and should be done on smaller new lawns and can be considered derelict, not to(unless its just sand of course)... Tilling is just about the most important last step, though I agree that if the area becomes too large it is no longer practical...

For the amount of money I charged the widow for that few hours of work, it wouldn't have made sense to even start up the skidster and compact the soil, before seeding... many factors play into the best way to do a job, but the professional results of a perfect lawn comes first... I don't care how much squirt&fert one dumps onto compacted soil here with the cool season grasses, the ill-effects from compaction seldom ever goes away...

Page generated in 0.03648 seconds with 7 queries