View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
That question can only be answered by sampling microbiology before and after topsoil has been added.
I appreciate your honesty...

I wonder if anyone will come up with a general rule of how compost reacts to being spread on a lawn, bare soil, tilled into a garden, warm temps vs cold temps etc...
To me it seems that the microbiology existing in the soil that the compost is applied to would start feeding and breaking down into plant food as GravelyWalker suggestted... obviously various populations would explode while other populations would atrophy but over all, I don't believe they would ever remain the same...

Is the reason that a microscope is considered so important is becuz we believe that once we see what's there, that that is the way it will always be??? I get the too much fungi vs too much bacteria, but I tend to believe it has to do with habitat anyways and the habitat of a lawn would not stay the same... a microscope only tests a X-section of what is happening in this point in time correct?
The results of compost on the turf is really the only results that us scapers and clients really care about... Even the sandy manure compost in bags had some beneficial effects, in spite the majority of volume being sand...

There are a lot of things to think about in regards to compost, and so far I haven't been lead astray by looks and smell... right now I have compost growing grasslings in it on various lawns and I don't know what the microbiology of it is now as compared to what it was when in the pile,,, but on the other hand... does it matter???

Sorry for all of the misinformation, in this one post... but that has been my success story and if others have had similar/contrary experiences, the thread can easily continue...

Page generated in 0.03966 seconds with 7 queries