View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Green... If you look at the my vid again in post 26, thats about as rough as it gets, the vid doesn't give it justice believe me. 1.5hrs or so and it really starts to hurt, I make it last job of the day. Always makes me want to take a pizz. re needing the kidney belt.
I dont think Im doing more than 5 or 6mph for the most part, a fast walk.
At or near the start of the vid theres a small bare area that gives an idea of the ant nests. Its like that all over the place, you just cant see them under the grass. Some of those nests are 4 or 5" high. There kind of different to your problems though. Ruts make both front wheels hit at the same time where as these nests every wheel is doing something different.

Ive watched your vids again and even though the prop your doing leaning forward may be smoother, there are definitely some dips or rough spots in it. Your head/body is staying fairly still until you hit a rough spot and then you push/pull/jerk the sticks. watch around the 5 sec,14 sec, 24sec, 27sec in the leaning forward vid you can see your hands move.

In the other vid of you and ya miss's, its the sitting back in the chair thats flinging you forward and again, jerking the sticks. Like Ive said, you have to sit forward, let the machine rock underneath you. Watch these guys heads/upper body. Especially the second guy. It barely moves. http://youtu.be/LdeKwafcL50 or better yet... http://youtu.be/_fWt0tlfBMg
Basically, thats what you need to achieve.
You shouldnt need to lean fully forward all the time, just over the areas you know are rough. Granted, the flex forks may be making it worse for you but Id rather have them, slow down on the bad props than get beat to death on every lawn. But thats me!

The only jerking I get is going up steep rough slopes but even then its rare now. I have the drive pretty much down pat, I have a 150hrs on this SZ. It still happens, just not often. I have to drive up a fairly steep, rough track just to load up the mower so is something I learnt pretty quickly. The only other time it happens is if I forget about a bad rut or hole. Not often as I know my properties pretty well.

I just watch a few vids I havent published and while I was going pretty slow (very long grass) I noticed when I did get rocked, there was no jerking of the sticks and Im able to nullify the body rock with my legs. I hold the sticks very low at the first bend. Thats less leverage on the sticks. Higher up is more responsive if that makes sense or need a lighter touch the higher up the sticks you hold them.[/QUOTE]

If im doing 5 -6 MPH or even KPH I am definately getting the same jerkyness over all the bumps, the smaller the bump the less the jerk, buts its still there and it only takes a bunch of small jerks to make for a very uncomfortable ride. As I say I get this jerking on all the properties I have mown so far. I can minimise the effects dramatically by not leaning on the back rest & being completely honest with you, yesturday I spend atleast 3 hrs mowing on the machine, 80-90 % of the time I was leaning forward, still get the bad jerking.

Regarding the levers, I have tried using fingers, tried using no hands, even tried backing off on the levers while the machine is jerking away. I know in those videos i am moving levers slightly, but I have trialled those things above so as far as I can tell you I have rulled out that any input from my hands is causing the jerks. Gee it would be so great if you were in sydney, if I could just see the way you use it going over ruts like that! The difficult thing with your video of the ants nest is i cant see you or the mower, just the camera shaking, the camera would shake just that much on my old dixon.

I have a background on racing BMX bikes over jumps as a teenager and whoops like in that video, also have owned a half a dozen dirt bikes, including a motorcross bike (yz426F, miss it a lot) which I used to ride to its limit over jumps etc, so I have had a lot of experiance in predicting rough terrain ahead etc as I did all this when younger, best time for learning. I would say Im reasonably althetic, so im not sure if your point was that I dont know how to allow for ruts and expect up coming ruts/rough terrain. I guess if your going by those videos then I can see why youd think that. But i was relaxing my whole body and just letting the mower do its thing, hense why its so dramatic! If my wife wasnt back at work now I would have her out with me doign some more footage of me, its just a difficult thing, have tried with my mobile phone resting in a tree but from a distance its not clear video.

You know the first thing that ever came to my mind when I started realising this jerking was an issue, was the hyrdaulics... so I had trialled all these things without hands on levers etc before even coming on this forum. When I first started using my new dixon, the hydros where very sensitive and if didnt take off very smooth on a driveway it would jerk madly, but i got the hang of that very very quickly. I guess another reason why my first thought on hustler was hydros. but so far with all my trying I havent managed to stop jerking, and i have tried and am still going to try.

Page generated in 0.04411 seconds with 7 queries