View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mystery of Germination

... is no mystery:
"Uptake of water by a mature dry seed is triphasic (see webpage "Water Relations"), with a rapid initial uptake (phase I, imbibition) followed by a plateau phase (phase II, metabolic preparation for germination). Phase III is a further increase in water uptake which occurs directly after germination is completed. Phase-III water uptake causes hydraulic growth of the embryo and the emerged seedling. ..."
http://www.seedbiology.de/germination.asp

Does anyone know what the physical triggers might be for Phase II to finally move on to phase III???

Does anyone know whether Phase II can be held in suspended animation over winter, until ideal conditions are reached for germination???

The answers to these questions would certainly clear up a lot of voodoo about the magic of growing seed... Especially, when this year's weather pattern has everyone in doubt about whether or not to proceed...

It seems all life in the Midwest is preparing for a long winter's nap, even though we got a little bit of rain for the first time in weeks...

Page generated in 0.04645 seconds with 7 queries