View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ego-Scaper, Another Prospective

Over the years I have written about some hardscape contractors making equipment and truck purchases driven solely by ego. Ok, well there is another prospective to egos, where having an ego is not so bad.

I got my start participating in online forums back when Lawn & Landscape used to have a good forum happening. Going back 15 years I have been called every name in the book at the forums, from "cocky", "arrogant", "big headed", "know it all", and comments about my "ego".

And you know what? Everything ever said about me has never bothered me because it's all true!

I firmly believe one must be all the aforementioned descriptions to achieve success.

An major aspect of the residental contracting industry is SELLING. If you're not 110% confident in yourself and your services - then how can you expect a prospective client to have confidence in you?? You gotta know what you're doing and you gotta know how to convince prospective clients that you do infact know what you're doing. This is an aquired trait. A trait that only certain personalities can have success with. Having an ego to a certain degree can and will most certainly make you a successful sales person.

Think about professional athletes. How about powerful attorneys? How about Donald Trump? They all have one trait in common. They all have egos. A professional athlete needs that ego to drive him to excel. The powerful attorney's ego is what convinces judges and juries to see things his way. Donald Trump's ego is what made him Donald Trump.

It also takes a good ego in managing employees, vendors, and customers. Without an ego it's easy to allow problem employees to be problem employees. Many times an ego is needed for making decisions, such as firing, etc. Same with managing customers. There are customers that will fight you tooth and nail so they can get something for nothing. An ego is a must have for maintaining your ground and not caving in. We appreciate their business, but we need to draw the line. We all have had vendors along the way that have had some unacceptable issue of some sort. Yep, the vendor has referred us many a times to people, but we still need to address our dissatisfaction with the vendors services. Again, this is where we rely on an ego to help us through the uncomfortable situation. We appreciate their referrals but we need to draw the line. It takes an ago to accomplish this.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Page generated in 0.03892 seconds with 7 queries