View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I still think it was odd that aeration became a 'seeding' method...
a slit-seeder works the soil and hopefully some dead grass debris, in order that the seed may nestle into the little grooves created... after watering the seed is covered by some loose soil and hopefully some dead grass debris, to start phase I of the process i.e., soak up the water...

The farm crop analogy wasn't bad, but there is a distinct difference between planting grasses with an agricultural drill and a slit-seeder... the drill actually open the soil, drops the seed into the furrow then covers it up... the slit-seeder relies on the water to settle it into the loosened soil...

just like the only real germination that oftentimes appears with a slit-seeder are the rows, that with the loosened soil, the same is true of the loosened soil around/in the holes... The compacted hydrophobic surface of the rest of the open soil doesn't have the wherewithal to allow seed to germinate there...

Page generated in 0.03259 seconds with 7 queries