I think it was my first week on the job at Rue Green. They were using 500 feet of cheap poly hose on a reel. The pressure got a bit too high (around 150 lbs), and I had a hose leak inside the reel at a weak spot. They gave us all hose repair splice kits to take with us. Weather was cold--hose was new, stiff and kink-prone. So...I took about 200 feet of new hose off the reel and left it in a big curly pile on the customer's lawn next to the truck. I got it spliced and it took forever to wind that hose back onto the reel. Many kinks and twists.
In winter we would take the hoses off, but it was almost impossible to get a neat coil of 500 feet of stiff hose. It was hell to try to untangle, get rid of the kinks, and put the hose back on the newly painted (green) reels in the spring. 2 years later we went to a thicker type of poly hose(no braided reinforcement); it could handle more pressure--but it was stiff--especially in cold weather.