Thread: fruit flys
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
I'm not saying pyrethroids are evil. I grow chrysanthemums around my house.
As for " No telling what long term effects might show up from a Pesticide the local Mosquito partol is fogging the neighborhood with since the 1950's", you do understand that DDT was in commercial use in 1939, and it took until 1972 to be banned?
And I'm not saying that pyrethroids are on track to being banned, but the latest EPA guidelines have essentially banned their use in drains, because they are very destructive to aquatic life downstream of the sewer system.
That, and they have only a very short residual effect, so several treatments would be necessary, and with the food source (slime mold) still in the traps, there's nothing preventing their return.

I'm not advocating any particular product, but this should give you the general idea:
http://www.rid-x.com/septic-tank-system-products.shtml
Any hardware/home store should have something like this.
I won't discount the value of Rid-X as a long term solution and I don't want to get into a Pissing match over Organic Pest Control. Fact is I use some organic products. (the ones that actually work) But the Title of this section of the Lawnsite Forum is PESTICIDE & Herbicide Application.

OK let us talk about DDT for a second. It was taken off the market because it was suppose to cause softening of Eagle Egg shells. It's mode of action is as a Sodium Blocker which Stops Nerve impulses from reaching their destination. the same as Pyrethriods. However current research has proved DDT doesn't effect Bird Eggs of any kinds. DDT is currently being used in most all 3rd world countries as a Vector Disease Control saving Billions of Lives each Year. FYI Union Carbide (owned by Dow Chemical) has NEVER stopped making Chlordane in there Texas Plant. They just mark it Export only. Yes if you know the right people there is a black market for it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Page generated in 0.03208 seconds with 7 queries