Thread: Bid and Destroy
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Not impossible at all. All it takes is being proffesional, knowledgeable in your area of work , and making your business marketable. I am only 25 and I have done it . Perfect example is Andrew(Arp) started from scratch and has become a very successfull business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sean, I have a couple thoughts on this thread as there are many 'topics' here. I mean this as respectful as possible but Andrew and You are the exception, I bet many of the rest of us are not 'successful' in the conventional sense and there are many reasons why. If all it took was hard work I think there would be many more that are 'successful'. I hate to say it but there is a lot of 'luck' and 'connections' that are very important.

Another point is the commercial vs residential market. An excavator last year kind of told me I was wasting my time doing residential work and should go after more 'big' work. The problem with that is I can't afford to wait to be paid, absolutely hate dealing with the regulations that come with commercial work and it is very dog-eat-dog. Yes some home owners are a pain but some are awesome to deal with and I've found there is much better margins with it and leave with a check.

My last thing is connections make or break you, that is the most important thing. I am not a pushy or very out spoken so I find the 'selling/schmoozing' part very tough, the work is the easy part...

Page generated in 0.04646 seconds with 7 queries