View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
They make ztrs that go 15mph with full suspension for a reason, and now 18mph. You think were mowing at 5mph??? That's why these mowers are upwards of 19 grand.
Posted via Mobile Device
You are right. The problem is, not all turf is mowable at full stick, even with slower ZTR's. I learned that lesson 3 years ago when I bought a new Diesel Gravely. The mowing season had just commenced, and I was mowing a lawn we used to service that was well shaded, and always moist. It was an EOW mow, and one portion of the lawn in particular, where there were numerous trees, always grew like gangbusters. The grass was probably a good 10 inches tall, thick, and fine.

I took off with my shiny new diesel, and quickly discovered that with the additional torque, it wasn't necessary to slow down as I had always done with my gasser. I was elated, and kept the hammer down, mowing the area in record time. When the job was completed, I got to looking and realized that the area under the trees looked like crap, because it hadn't cut all the grass cleanly, just whacked it, leaving an uneven cut. I ended up going over the whole area again, meaning my record time, was a new record, but on the slow end of the scale.

And, yes, my blades were sharp. And, yes, they were high lifts. And, yes the deck was clean.

Perhaps there is a mower that can operate with 100% efficiency on all turf, at all speeds, I don't know. I just know that has not been my experience.

Page generated in 0.04051 seconds with 7 queries