View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
............ We all have what we think is correct about the legalities of those steps and who would be responsible (I don't really know who would be either way) but really wish there were concrete ways to find out issues like this. I may have to much faith on the judicial system (never thought I would say that) but I would hope a judge would see all the evidence and see he did not construct it. But I do understand he built up to it, thus using it at its current heights. But what about if on top of those steps was a deck that had to small, or no railings? Where is the line for what/when you are liable?
Most counties and cities have specific codes in writing pertaining to the specifications for step construction. Sometimes you can find this online for the jurisdiction it pertains to.

I am notorious for calling permits and inspections offices and asking questions. In fact the director of permits and inspections in Fairfax Co VA knows me well! And so does the supervisor of inspectors. LOL

Many landscape / Hardscape contractors do not realize that codes do exist to their line of work. When I was in court as an expert against another contractor much focus was on the fact that the steps did not meet county code. With copies of the code presented to the judge.

And paper cutter is correct. A seat wall IS NOT a safety barrier. And should never ever be used as one. Those of us with children know this
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 10-22-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.04217 seconds with 7 queries