View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The organic compost that I buy is made from yard waste.

Grass clippings, tree branches, leaves, plants, etc. It shouldn't have glass, rocks, or trash and in Rockford they won't take any soil either. So if you were trying to get rid of dirt....the compost plant won't take that.

The compost plant has a large end loader that scoops up the yard waste bags, drops them into a giant grinding machine that spits out a fine waste material. They will do this process a few times until it's super fine material.

Then the end loader will scoop up the super fine waste material, and place it in a large field. They will take a bulldozer and turn the yard waste over and over. Not sure how many days they keep turning the field of yard waste over.

Then they will scoop up the yard waste material from the field and now it's turning into compost, run it through the grinder and sometimes they add lime to the compost to make it drier so it's easier to spread.

I don't want to ask the people at compost plant their compost making process, because they got mad at me when I took a few pictures....they thought I wanted to start my own compost plant....which I don't.

But they have a good gig there....you pay to get rid of your yard waste, and then they grind it up and make compost. And then they charge you to come and take their waste....so they are making money on both ends. It's a great business!!!!
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader

Page generated in 0.03411 seconds with 7 queries