View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Let me ask you a question smallaxe. Where do you think "dirt" as you call it, comes from?
For me , the term "dirt" is the mineral soil that is made up of pulverized rock... usually 'subsoils' qualify for this term becuz they are strictly parent material w/out any OM that would be sufficient to call it "soil"...

Soil, by my terminology, means a pleasant blend of mineral material that is structured and bonded together by enough OM to be noticable...

Compost, is simply decayed organic matter... whether itis leaves and twigs, whether it is grass and pumpkins, or manure and wood chips,,, organic matter is always decaying becuz the earth is filled with decomposers...

Whatever elements were gathered together by the original plants, are now part of your composted material... but that is not the important part... the important part is what the compost does for the 'soil' that people use to grow grass on...

The more that the ground resembles dirt, the more compost is needed to make it soil...that is why mulch mowing grass and leaves into the turf is just a standard routine for the knowledgeable LCO...

At least that is how I see the 'bio' sciences in my little world,,, and a deeper discussion on the topic is always welcome...

Page generated in 0.03947 seconds with 7 queries