View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
gotcha ..just read a study from some university (can't find the link ) basically dismissing a ratio of 1-2-1 1-3-1 ect because phosphorus remains in the soil longer than previously thought. Basically it thought you might only need it for new seed. Anybody have any thoughts?
Steve
That has been talked about a lot in recent years and what I find most interesting about the subject is that most plants require help from biologicals, in a symbiotic relationship,, in order to extract the P from the soil...

Since the quicker that relationship is formed, the better... I don't believe that using "starter fert" (with P) is a good idea in the long term...
Young plants are in need of AM Fungi at birth and the application of P causes a noticeable reduction in AM Fungal activity, so we're actually working against the natural life cycle of the plant...

Then of course there are those who believe that a P application actually enhances germination...

Yes, there are lots of interesting things to learn...

Page generated in 0.03400 seconds with 7 queries