View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
does your designer work on freelance or is he a full time employee of yours? does he have any involvement in the price estimating or does he just come up with design and then you figure that all out?
Freelance. Almost all of the medium and large landscape companies in my area use freelance designers these days. There was a time when many of us had designers on staff. But most of us have come to realize that wasn't really sustainable - especially after the recession. There is one or two companies around here that do really nice high end jobs and the owner also does the design work too. But they don't do much volume.

The thing is, if you get fairly successful at marketing yourself, landing and installing landscape jobs, you won't have time for design anyway. You'll be too busy writing proposals and managing jobs. So it's just easier to find a freelance designer to handle that part for you. For the last 7 years or so, I wouldn't have been able to do designs, even if I wanted to. Not to mention the fact that I can't produce designs as good as my designer can.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Page generated in 0.03850 seconds with 7 queries