View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

First Year in Business - How did I do/help me with some ?s moving forward

Hey Guys!

Love reading all the advice on here - I have a few questions about my business and I know there are a lot of guys on here that have been around a while so obviously you're doing it right and I would like some advice.

This was my first year in business and I managed to get a total of 28 res. customers. Most of them are awesome, I have them on a schedule and have made good strides so looking forward to some WOM advertising! About 20 of them are that way, then I have 8 who are kind of a pain, they get upset if I come weekly, they call at random times, I was wondering If I should dump them or keep them, to me money as money his year. Overall I grossed approx 13,000 as a part time solo op.

Equipment: Toro Time 30' cut, Billy Goat 34', Husky BT150 BP Blower, Stihl FS90.

How did I do?

For next year I have a few larger contracts coming, one is a 8 acre area bid at 9K for the season and the other is a little larger about 15 acres bid at 15k for the season. They are both easy flat land, mow blow go and I have my eyes on a 60' ztr to take care of them. I work with my brother so it would be a two man crew on these.

Here are my questions:
Upgrading my small trailer and equipment - I am going to sell my mowers and get a 60' ztr and a WB, probably 36-48 inch - have some gates so prob get one to fit through those. Trailer wise would you guys suggest a 10', 12' or 14'? Which trailer would hold the ZTR, a WB and a 21"?

In terms of the larger accounts I bid based on time and acreage, I figured 3 acres/hour on the ZTR and my overhead costs, which are bascally nothing except for the trailer and ztr I will be buying. Everything else is the same as this past season, would there be anything else to take into consideration that I'm missing?

I know that there will be guys that say I'm overreaching, but I don't think I am. I have the time to put forward, and in my opinion I need to start getting more income if I really want to start expanding, which is why I don't really care if I'm not making a ton this next season, as long as I am getting my name out there and bringing in more funds to keep upgrading, this is not going to be a full time en devour yet, although I would like to build up to it.

Next question is should I st up as an LLC, currently a SP DBA?

Final question is should I set up a payroll for my brother and myself? How exactly does one pay themselves? I am worried I will be double taxed, can someone help me with that? I'll be meeting with my CPA but wondering if anyone here has some insight.

Thanks!

Page generated in 0.03965 seconds with 7 queries