View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Wow! Sounds exactly like the problems I had with a few guys this year as well. It must be the new generation of landscape and construction labors in general that act like this. Some of these guys just can't get there lives together and will be miserable at work. It is hard on me the boss, I allways feel like I have to baby my employees to keep everyone in the right attitude for work each day, that ends of leaving me with alot of uneeded stress. You sooner or lator have to get rid of those guys and just keep trying to find new guys. My new goal every year is to have a good solid crew for each season, by the end of the year I usually have to get new guys in thye spring, because most of my guys had enough of landscaping by the fall. Your not alone buddy, most guys on here will agree.
I've had all the same problems and I spoken to many other businesses who have the same problems. I think it is a poor work ethic and many view these jobs as bottom of the barrel. The thing that I'm doing is trying to make the wage and job more attractive and harder to leave. I try to look at what it would be like in thier shoes. Create better systems that employees can get up to speed quicker and hold them accountable. I also want to make sure I do the basics of good hiring, things I don't have a habit of doing now, such as: checking references, checking experience, drug and driver license checks. If I had done these this summer I would not of hired all the 7-8 problems I hired who are longer around. However, realistically, I'm not sure I had any applications that would've passed the bar. A few that I hired would have good references and drug and license checks I'm sure but they were the ones that couldn't handle the work and heat in July.

I got a text from an uncle of an employee last night that said, his nephew Mr. employee will need the next few days (unsure of how many) to handle some personal matters. I told him to tell the employee to take the whole next week off and then call me before returning. If I can do without him for a week, I can probadly do without him for a couple.

The way that I look at this is its just like any other issue that I have to work through. I've got a few good employees so first Im going to make sure they stay and when I get another hold onto him as well.

Page generated in 0.03288 seconds with 7 queries