Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmowingmaster View Post
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=112342
READ my thread from seven years ago
Same situation
-worked for a friend
-used my own truck and money to get his business going.
-at one point he owed me 15k
-friendship was my top priority ( i was dum)
-I grew his business to over 150 clients.
-I went weeks without pay or less pay
-My bills were late,his bills were on time
-I paid interest on loans,he paid off loans.
Conclusion:
-Stopped working for him
-money was tight
-it took him five years to pay me back
-any other job was better than working for free
Current situation:
-I figured if I can run his business and make him in a better situation,why not do it for myself
-I have a profitable business now
-my employee gets paid before I make my own mortgage payment
-My business outgrew my friend's business
-my friend's employees are complaining about work with no pay
THE IRONY is me and that guy are still friends.
NEVER MIX FRIENDSHIP WITH WORK.
NEVER NEVER NEVER PARTNER WITH NO ONE
Well it was his van, I was just fronting gas money for it since it also stayed at my place at night and on the weekends when it wasn't needed. He is in a worse financial situation then any of his, now three employees soon to be two and then one, maybe none. I was getting enough money to get by and was searching for a new job. Don't quit the one you have until you get a new one. The friend situation didn't help. His philosophy on a business is that you can run a business entirely on money in hand and not credit. We will most likely be friends after he pays me . I will not however do any more work for him in the future, I don't care what it is, I have a new job that keeps me more than busy, and pays on time. The only situation I am going to run into at tax time is payroll taxes on money received that wasn't technically payroll. For example, he owes me 2k, and 350 is misc. expenses (gas oil parts) for his business. I have no pay stubs or receipts or time cards but come tax season if he tries to pull something I will turn him in, I did him a favor for not turning him in on two different occasions when I should have.

Page generated in 0.04270 seconds with 7 queries