View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
... * Proper watering, Fertilizer(organic) and compost applications create beautiful lawns.
No, we haven't ignored your last sentence...

Now we may figure out how we are able to get seed to grow between the core holes in regards to your last sentence...

If you have enough clay to need aeration at all, you will notice that bare spots in the turf, tends to form little puddles after a few minutes of rain... over time, those puddles actually grow algae, then eventually moss, if conditions are right... This is the most common scenario of all lawns I see in the areaand I'm sure that it is a common scenario for any soil , except the sandy textured soils, but any kind of loam(mixture) worth its salt will have these little puddles on the surface...

If by proper watering, you mean "never allow those puddles to dry", then I suppose you'd solve that problem... but how could you guarantee it??? set timer to 'gentle mist' every 2 hours???
In my experience, the only way to keep those dirt spots from puddling, was to fill them with grass plants...
Organic fertilizer won't prevent this occurance either,, and if you suggest,,, covering the seed with compost, then you're talking about a successful seeding event that has nothing to do with aeration at all...

I think the point that is getting lost is what constitutes a good seedbed and what would be considered less than perfect... its the 'less than perfect' thing that bothers me...
There are very good reasons to aerate, but it has its drawbacks when it comes to seeding...
Is that agreeable???

Page generated in 0.03189 seconds with 7 queries