View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK, we mixing the apples and oranges again... the term hardpan has caused some confusion and that is my fault... we are talking strictly about surface(because that is where seeding takes place) so may I modify the terminology to crust...
Most of the topsoils I work with are the most excellent blends/mixtures of clay, sand and OM(loam), so there is no real hardpan in the truest sense of the word... all of the descriptive terminology relating to the seedbed is strictly within the top 1/4" or so of the surface... so I think, crust, is definately a better word... sorry for the mistake...

These little puddled areas, that I mention earlier, that function as anti-seedbed bare dirt zones,,, is the focus of,,, comparing a hole from an aerator to the slicing the surface from a slit-seeder...

The slit seeder attempts to cover every sq.in. of ground, loosening the top 1/4" ofall the seedbed areas... That is quite acceptable, IMO...
A bare spot that is about the size of a large oak leaf is now crusted over... this crusted area can either have a 1/4" loosening over it or 1, even 2 large holes pounded through it...
Which creates the bed for more seed to find a nice beginning in???

Page generated in 0.03858 seconds with 7 queries