View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I don't know where you are.

In NY teachers get the same health plan that cops, fire, and gov. workers get. Empire. School districts are charged $13,000 a year to give a teacher family coverage. There is not limit on prescriptions.

In my state it was 5 years to be vested in the pension, newer hires is now ten years. Most districts will provide health coverage when you retire and have tens service.

So in my state it pays to work then 10 years and retire with a small pension and H insurance.

You cut off your hand or foot, god forbid, you wish you never had left your teaching job.

I worked as a shop teacher. Rather I was employed as a shop teacher I had fun working with the students and having all that equipment to use.

Hold on to that job till you can retire half pay. Then landscape full time.

See your young now and your body does not ache, cold has no effect, heat same.
Good to hear advice from a former shop teacher. How long did you teach for? Yes the shop equipment is def a plus. I have everything from cnc plasma tables to a/c equipment at my disposal. I live and teach in IL, pensions are on the cutting block as are heal benefits. We actually lost the right to choose our health care plan in this contract because the school is considering dropping us into the new fed health care program. I'm tenure at the end of this year (4). I've heard a lot of people say that at 10 years we can get some level of pension. I'll have to look into this as this is a very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
How many accounts do you have? Also your $10 PH guy is closer to $14, Someone on here made a good point in another thread. To hire a full time employee they have to gross 50k for me to make money. It made a lot of sense to me.
I have 10 houses that I do full service on. I'm nowhere near 50k. I could be if I was on my own.

I really do appreciate the advice guys. I get the dear in the headlight look from most people when I discuss this crazy idea.

Page generated in 0.03864 seconds with 7 queries