View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
When people talk about N being applied and then considering it all used up, like a dog licking his bowl clean, I consider that the concept of soil fertility gets lost...

Right now, the surfaces of the lawns turn solid every nite and some shaded areas stay solid, but the grass is still green, though not very britely colored green...

Let's say that the time release prills were applied at the beginning of October but becuz it was so dry, the prills were still in visible form 2 weeks ago when frosts were becoming common, but no freezeups...

How much of that N likely got used in this scenario??? My personal opinion is that since there was very little greenup after the rains started, that the N never really did get used much and now that the ground is frozen, there is very little chance that the 1 pound of N will even be used...
How does that line up with the threory???
This article covers many of the same ideas and once the adjustment from Ohio to WI is made, it does seem to agree with FD's original thought processes...
The real question is, How Much??? N is being used as the soils chill down???
http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-disease-updates/benefits-late-fall-fertilization

Page generated in 0.03819 seconds with 7 queries