View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
You can't make plowing attractive, I've tried many many times. I agree with Grandview, dump the plowing, take the night job and do lawns in your free time. Plowing IMHO is something to do in the winter, and a money pit. If I could get away with it I'd dump all plowing accounts and break even sitting on the couch.
Ok, then answer this: If you could have a plow route that takes 4 or 5 hours, 1/3 of a tank of gas, and bills at $1000 per small storm, $2000 for large storms (8 to 10 hours, 2/3 tank) would you do it? You need 25 driveways at $40 per push on a tight, 4 hour route. Not too hard to manage. I think that is worth a day in the seat. In a typical storm, I am up and in the truck at 5am. Back home eating breakfast by 10am. Bill $1000. Spend $25 in gas. We get an average of 11 storms, 3 or 4 require a 2nd push. (Full disclosure...I do end up spending anywhere from $500 to $2000 per year on truck or plow repairs.)

Yes there are guys that will plow a driveway for $20. And they will drive 30 minutes in a blinding snowstorm to earn that $20. Those are the guys that can't seem to understand why they aren't making money plowing. They are in the truck for 12 hours, burn $100+ in gas, and bill $500 total. Not too strategic.

Do the math. I just don't see how working all day, every day for $15 per hour is a better deal.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax

Page generated in 0.03201 seconds with 7 queries