View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I know exactly what you are talking about, and ran into that exact problem with a lawn service I was running. I felt like everything was out of control, and I didn't know what to do. I hired another crew and an office manager. It spiraled out of control. I had created full time jobs just trying to train the office manager on stuff I didn't even know how to do, and I was also trying to keep the crews busy, and customers happy. It was awful.

I finally got back on track, but it wasn't easy. Here are a few of the things I did that might help:
  1. Started reading every business book I could get my hands on. It completely changed my life. I was blown away by how much I had missed out on by not purposefully learning everyday.
  2. Looked at all our customers to see who was losing us money, and raised their prices or dropped them. Also narrowed our services to only offer the things that made us money. That meant dropping one time cleanups. Very few people are willing to do stuff like this - but you absolutely have to if you want to survive.
  3. Changed our entire pricing structure and required credit cards on sign up. We then charged their cards each week - you wouldn't believe how much that helped our cash flow problem once we got enough customers switched to cover payroll.
  4. Wrote an operations manual that outlined how we did everything. This took a while, but was worth the effort. When I had written full instructions to run scheduling, book keeping, customer conversations, etc. I hired an office manager and handed her the manual, and spent a couple weeks full time training her. She has now trained every additional & replacement office hire.

Just these few things changed our business. It took a ton of time and dedication, but it worked. Let me know if that helps at all.

Page generated in 0.05193 seconds with 7 queries