View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper44 View Post
agree....nutsedge is impossible to get rid of..its going to come every year and it seems like it is getting worse...also crabgrass pressure the past 4 season has been worse as winter has shortened here and its getting warmer early and longer in the season....this year we are bumping up our pre emergence rate to be in line with southern reccomendations..we are supposed to be in the transition zone but the past couple of years I believe we have been more like alabama and other southern state climates...the more i can be on the property the better especially with the summer weeds you can be there one week then 2 weeks later all hell breaks loose!

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
4 app programs were always the norm until the bean counters got involved.

A good 4 app program is great for most lawns and works very well.
That being said I "offer" up to a six app fert program with all the other bells and whistles too.

Creech got it right on a lot of points and slammed Efficiency pretty good but it's true. We do six apps because we can, not because we should.

When I started it was four apps and an optional late fall of high K product. Now it's six apps all high N.

I also know that 2lbs of N max was recommended for northern turf back in the day too. Not sure what they are up to now, and fall is all about heavy N.......

Buncha bullshit to be honest.

4 apps is probably fine for your area
I was thinking that back in the day the recommendation for bermuda was about 4-4.5lbs of N per season but not too long ago I read somewhere it was 5.5. Weather patterns and environmental factors change and all I'm really saying is a program should fit environmental conditions of your market and the level of service and value you want to provide. These will determine what your program will be as well as the price you charge and really your whole service model in general.

Bean counters determined that big companies like TG should be offering 7-8 apps and telemarketing for as many more as they could get beyond that. They chase more customers my way by using this business model(not to mention the inferior results). I've never played that game.

I only want to provide superior service and value to my customers while at the same time making a decent living for myself and my employees.

Page generated in 0.04679 seconds with 7 queries